Welcome to
St Saviour's Primary School Toowoomba

/

The History of St Saviour's Primary School

St Saviour's Primary School is the oldest Catholic school in Toowoomba and the Toowoomba Diocese. It was built in 1863, opened 1864 and originally called St Patrick's Church School. It was a combined church and school on the corner of James and Neil Streets The school was originally staffed by lay teachers until Bishop Quinn of Brisbane made a decision to send Sisters of Mercy to teach in the school in 1873. Father Dunne, the parish priest of St Patrick's, was not pleased with this decision and Miss Kate Reardon remained in charge of the school for some time.

The church school was extended in 1880 and destroyed by fire soon after the renovations were completed. The church school was rebuilt on the site. In 1899 the school was moved to its present site to make way for the new church. In 1914 a new school building was erected facing Lawrence Street.

school 1915

In 1938 Bishop Roper renamed the school The Cathedral School. In 1959 the school was renamed St Saviour's School, taking the name of the convent where the Sisters of Mercy lived.

In 1974 the St Saviour's Preschool was opened and in 1976 the present school building was built. In 1985 the school was extended to include a library, multi-purpose room and administration area.

In 1994, Mr Peter Lynam replaced Sr Sue O'Neill rsm as the first lay principal since 1874. The Mercy sisters continued to have a presence in the school until 2000.

In 2004, an Early Education Unit consisting of two classrooms was opened to cater for the Prep Year.

The current Principal, Ms Madonna Sleba was appointed for the start of the 2018 school year.

History Timeline

1863

St Patrick’s Church and School was built - called St Patrick’s Church School  (cnr of James and Neil Street)

1864

First students attend St Patrick's Church School

1869

Reopened as St Patrick’s School , 47students with Miss Katherine Brady as headmistress

1870

Katherine Brady resigned from her position and was replaced by Miss Kate Reordan ; 170 students

1873

Sisters of Mercy arrive in Toowoomba.  Later this year, Kate Reordan enters the convent in Brisbane (All Hallows).

1874

Sr Mary Rose appointed as Headmistress

1880

New St Patrick’s School built in the grounds facing Lawrence St.  The former church/school burnt down in June 1880.  The new St Patrick’s Church is then built onto completed school building (forming a T-shape section.)

1873 to 1913

Primary School only - St Patrick’s School

1914

Secondary School established - St Patricks Roman Catholic High School

1938

School name change to St Saviour’s - separation of Primary and Secondary

1948

Primary School was named The Cathedral School - remained part of the parish

1958

Records show that the school was still called The Cathedral School at this time

1965

Records show that the school is called The St Patrick’s School at this time

1976

Records show that the school is called St Saviour’s Primary School at this time

2012

St Saviour’s Primary School – Prep to Year 7 - Coeducational

2013

150th Year Celebrations

2014

St Saviour's Primary - Prep to Year 7 Coeducational Education. Last year of Year 7 in Primary School

2015 to present

Prep - Year 6 Coeducational